Summer 2020 Creative Copywriter Intern
Cedar Knolls, NJ
Every summer, Fingerpaint invites motivated college students with a specific interest in pharmaceutical and healthcare marketing to apply for an internship, offering a hands-on opportunity to work alongside our team to produce great client solutions.
As an intern at Fingerpaint, you’ll be fully immersed in the Fingerpaint culture for 10 weeks for 30 hours per week. You’ll be working with industry experts who have first-hand knowledge of the industry. You will not only have a chance to touch client work as part of your role, but you will also work on a group project of your own with our other interns. We’ll team you up with a local nonprofit organization as your client, and you and our intern team will own a marketing project tailored specifically for that organization’s needs. It’s a hands-on experience that’s a win-win for all involved: They walk away with a pro-bono project, and you walk away with real-world client experience to enhance your resume. And as an added bonus, it’s a great way for you to contribute to Fingerpaint’s passion for giving back to the community. This internship gives exposure to a uniquely collaborative environment with varied areas of expertise.
What does the creative team do? The creative team collaborates, concepts, and executes ideas for compelling and memorable work for clients, brands, and philanthropic initiatives. They work with all departments to create unexpected, memorable, and on-brand copy.
Overview of the creative copywriter internship:
- Swagger: This role requires enthusiasm; you are trying to convince people to buy products, so you better believe in what you’re selling, and you better believe in yourself
- Skills: College experience writing advertising/marketing copy; preference given to candidates with spec ads/portfolios. Poetry, essays, fiction, and news clips are okay, too, but spec ads are better (make some now!). Make sure to submit a link to your portfolio or submit samples of your work in order to be considered
- Knowledge: Be current on trends in digital communications, social media, traditional media outlets, films, TV, business, and politics, and know what the culture is talking about
- Curiosity: We’re a fast-paced agency, and we’ll talk over your head (choose when to Google and when to ask), but your will to find answers knows no bounds
- Coachability: Know when to take a note and when to defend your copy, but always know that nothing you write is final
- Leadership: Lead copywriter for your office’s intern project
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who is able to check their shyness at the door. They have specific interest and experience in a graphic design role. They are creative, a talented writer, and an engaging presenter.
Our internship program is highly competitive with a limited number of paid spots (summer only). For-credit opportunities may also be available during other semesters.